2008年1月1日 星期二

family

My father has two sisters and one brother.
and he is the firstborn son.
the firstborn sister immigrated to USA with her family
and the youngest brother immigrated to Australia.
and they all came back last weekend.
my cousin Fred went to MIT for bachelor's degree, master's degree and ph.D
he doesn't talk much. when you ask him something, he ponders, not letting words get out of his mouth casually. He actually takes your questions seriously. His eyes smile sometimes. He is 14 years older than me, and we met every other year.
you know, it's a pity that I got little chance to know him more and better.
because we are somewhat distant. and I wonder, why things are the way they are?
the other cousin suffered from autism. to everyone's surprise, he memorizes things very well. he remembers your name, address, and phone number once you've told him.
have you ever heard of autism savant? This means a lower than average general intelligence (IQ) but very high narrow intelligence in one or more fields.(excerpts from wikipedia) I think my cousin fits into that definition. I don't now why he is the way he is, and I have no idea how to communicate with him. coz he seems like living in he own world, and I have no access to that. in the meanwhile, I can't help but think, which is better, he is born in USA or Taiwan. where are metally disabled people being treated more equally?
the other cousin is now studying in the university of Queensland. he moves to Australia by the age of 10.
if only we can know each other better.

沒有留言: